The Harbormen Barbershop Chorus was chartered in 1966 as the North Brookhaven chapter of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America (SPEBSQSA), now know as the Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS). The chapter originally met in Port Jefferson, with about 25 members joining in the first year. After 52 years the Chorus is still going strong with a current roster of 36 members and growing.
In additional to an annual show, the Chorus performs regularly at other venues throughout the year. This can include singing with other A Capella groups or quartets formed from within the chapter. From time to time the chorus or quartets have competed in BHS events, participated in singing Valentines and Holiday programs, sung at parties, sporting events, church meetings and many other celebrations and special occasions. On one occasion the chorus even traveled to Russia to share their A Capella barbershop style with people in that country.
Members of the chorus come from all walks of life: we have teachers, salesmen, engineers and scientists, an air traffic controller, a chef, a policeman, and a variety of other professions, some still working and others retired. We range in age from 20s to 80s; some have been members for just a short time while others for many decades. In addition to traditional barbershop songs, the chorus performs four-part arrangements of doo-wop, crooner, classic rock and even some recent contemporary numbers, as well as a wide selection of holiday music.
The Harbormen is a 501c3 charitable organization, with a percentage of all income supporting the Good Shepherd Hospice in Port Jefferson, NY, where we sing twice a year for their memorial services.
Please see this account of the first quarter century of the chorus for more details.
The Harbormen Chorus director is Rob Ozman.
Board of Directors (2021)
- PRESIDENT: Arthur Smith, email@example.com
- SECRETARY: David Lance, firstname.lastname@example.org
- TREASURER: Roger Schaefer, email@example.com
- VICE PRESIDENT MEMBERSHIP: Michael Mosolino, firstname.lastname@example.org
- VICE PRESIDENT MUSIC & PERFORMANCE: Fred Richards, email@example.com
- VICE PRESIDENT MARKETING/PUBLIC RELATIONS: Walter Baepler, firstname.lastname@example.org
- MEMBERS AT LARGE: Tony Begley, Rob Roehrig, Ron Homa, Fred Conway, Rick Meier
- IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT: Chris Beattie, email@example.com